Saturday, March 08, 2008

Dying Without An Answer to Life's Most Essential Question

Here is a devastating portrayal of the emptiness and cruelty of the post-modern world view. This is a scene in an episode titled "Atonement" from the 14th season of the NBC television hospital drama E.R. -- a man looking for answers does not find what he needs in a post-modern view of religion where there is no absolute truth or objective solutions to our ultimate perplexities. This desperate man intuitively knows that there is an objective truth from a real God who both judges the wicked and offers the hope of release through forgiveness. All he needs is someone to tell him how and where to find that God (Acts of the Apostles 8:31-35). Relativism and the delusions of self-discovery and inner light cannot satisfy.

Out of the depths I cry to you, O LORD;
O Lord, hear my voice.
Let your ears be attentive to my cry for mercy.
If you, O LORD, kept a record of sins, O Lord, who could stand?
But with you there is forgiveness; therefore you are feared.
I wait for the LORD, my soul waits, and in his word I put my hope.
My soul waits for the Lord more than watchmen wait for the morning, more than watchmen wait for the morning.
O Israel, put your hope in the LORD, for with the LORD is unfailing love and with him is full redemption.
He himself will redeem Israel from all their sins. (Psalm 130, NIV)





Here's another take on this episode with additional Gospel and Hollywood insights: http://teampyro.blogspot.com/2008/02/ers-atonement-and-absent-gospel.html

No comments: